Thursday, December 18, 2014

Birthing Artist: Catie Atkinson


There is no doubt that I am a visual creature. One of my tips to a sucessful birth is to visualize it happening. I've read that this is one of the "Law of Attraction" tools used by winning Olympic athletes. 

"The ability to see things before they actually happen is what enables us to pursue our dreams and ultimately achieve them. In fact, the better we visualize the future we want, the better our chances to make it happen."

-How To Develop Your Visualization Skills, read more here

Thanks to Catie Atkinson, a bohemian artist I found on the web who's works I deeply resonate with, I was able to gaze positive and inspiring images throughout my pregnancy in preparation for Maya's birth. I connected with her recently and I'd like to share with you my Q&A with her :) 



Monica: Your images have hugely inspired my pregnancy and birth. Thank you for that! I was successful in my VBAC home waterbirth that was unassisted (by accident) because I would stare at your beautiful works on Instagram! 

Catie: Aw- I'm so flattered! You don't know how much it means to me to hear that my art helped guide you on your birthing journey. 




Monica: How many children do you have? I ask because you seem to have so much experience for all your pregnancy and birthing artworks! 

Catie: I have two boys- both of them were born at home with the assistance of a wonderful midwife. I'm neither a doula nor a midwife, but my dream is to become both, once my children are older. For now, I just satisfy my passion for birth through art. 




Monica: What is the process of your work? How do you come up with such beautiful images? They're just so raw, so real, as if you capture something that actually was happening to you or someone else at that moment.


Catie:  Many times, images just come to me. I'll "see" a mama in my mind and she won't disappear until I get her down on paper. I have stacks of sketches that I haven't found the time to complete! I also find inspiration in photos of pregnancy and birth (there are some wonderful IG feeds full of raw, beautiful images of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and motherhood.)

Monica: As I skim through your IG I see that you call your home "earthship" and use many recycled materials? Where do you live and how do you live "sustainably" I don't presume you are off the grid because you have Internet access? (Curious because I used to live on a farm myself out in the province/paradise)


Catie: We live part of the year in New Mexico (in a traditional adobe house, but with all the modern conveniences) and part of the year in Peru, where we'll be building our house this year. Our house will be completely off grid, with a grey water system, solar panels for electricity, and built from sustainable local resources. We're so excited to finally begin this adventure that we've dreamed about for years!


                                   

Monica: So just tell me more about yourself and why do you do the things you do aside from inspire other moms? I love your work so much!


Catie: For as long as I can remember, I've been captivated by pregnancy and birth. I find the pregnant body amazingly beautiful and have always been in awe of the power of the female body. After my older son was born, I became passionate about birth and reclaiming our power as women and mothers . There's incredible fear surrounding birth in our society-- it's become a medical event rather than a sacred rite of passage. My hope is that by capturing the powerful, beautiful energy of pregnancy and birth, I can inspire other women to embrace the journey and remind them that our bodies are capable of incredible things. My wish for every woman is to feel strong, supported, and safe as she becomes a mother-- and I hope my art can help achieve that dream!


                                     

Catie Atkinson
Etsy Shop SpiritYSol
Instagram @spiritysol 

No comments:

Post a Comment